- 2 medium cucumbers, seedless variety, if available
- 6 ounces crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt (I use Fage brand)
- 3 tablespoons finely diced sun-dried tomatoes without oil. Red bell pepper can be used as a substitute.
- 10 large pitted Kalamata olives, drained and patted dry from all liquid
- 1/4 dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion or scallion
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pepper to taste
Thinly slice the cucumbers lengthwise. A mandolin makes slicing easier. If you don’t have, use a vegetable peeler. The slices need to be thin enough to roll-up. Pat dry all the slices with paper towel to remove any excess water. Set aside on a cutting board.
Combine feta and yogurt in a bowl. Use a fork to mash the ingredients to a paste like consistency. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, oregano, lemon juice and pepper. Stir well.
Place 1-2 teaspoons of mixture at one end of the cucumber slice and roll up. Secure with a toothpick. Continue with remaining slices. Chill until ready to serve. Best to serve within 1-2 hours for maximum freshness and to ensure cucumber slices remain crisp.
Depending on thickness of cucumber slices, this recipe yields about 18 roll-ups.