- 15 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 large jar marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cup 2% low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat shredded Parmesan cheese (the kind in resealable bag)
- I medium size eggplant (you need 18-20 slices)
- 1 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 medium size zucchini, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese (the kind in the shaker can)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped and added to marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup Egg-Mates (or 2 eggs well-beaten)
- Salt & Pepper
Wash eggplant and thinly slice. You need approximately 18-20 slices for a 9 x 12 baking dish. You can peel the eggplant if you wish, but I don’t find it is necessary. Salt the eggplant slices on both sides and let sit for 30 minutes, then rinse and pat dry.
Place panko bread crumbs and egg-mates in separate bowls. Dip the eggplant slices in the egg and coat with the panko bread crumbs. Place the eggplant on cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking oil.
Spray a 9 x 12 glass baking dish with non-stick cooking oil. Spread a layer of marinara sauce to cover the bottom of dish. Position 1/2 of the eggplant slices on top of the sauce.
Sprinkle 3/4 cup 2% mozzarella cheese over the eggplant, then a layer of shredded zucchini.
Add a layer of chopped spinach and dollops of low fat ricotta cheese (about 1/2 of the ricotta container). Sprinkle with grated Parmesan & Romano cheese and top with a layer of marinara sauce.
Evenly layer the remaining eggplant slices and top with shredded zucchini and chopped spinach.
Place dollops of the remaining ricotta cheese and sprinkle with 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese. Spread the remaining marinara sauce (about 1 cup) and top with 2% mozzarella cheese.
Bake in 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting into serving pieces. This dish will easily serve 12 people, especially if you add garlic bread and a mixed green salad. One serving is in the neighborhood of 135 calories. If you want a man-size portion, you can easily serve up a double portion and still be well under 300 calories.