Nothing like firing up the grill on a hot summer day. This meal is quick and easy. The grilling takes less than 5 minutes. Prep time is about 30 minutes. If you have extra help, like I did, prep time moves a little faster.
- 8 ounces top-sirloin steak, cubed and trimmed of any fat
- 1 pound of medium size raw shrimp, peeled
- Small container of fresh mushroom caps, stems removed.
- 1/2 medium valdalia onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 red pepper cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cups pineapple chunks, reserve the juice for the marinate
- Wooden skewers (soak in water for 20 minutes to prevent from burning on grill)
- 3/4 cup yellow or red cherry tomatoes
- Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
Combine all marinate ingredients in a zip lock bag. Add the shrimp. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Preparing the marinate sauce and shrimp the night before speeds up the prep time.
Place the steak cubes in a plastic bag. Sprinkle with Montreal steak seasoning. Close bag and place in fridge until ready to skewer.
Remove shrimp from marinade. Place the marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil on stove top and set aside. This will be used for basting.
Slide the shrimp, beef, and veggies onto each skewer. Alternate evenly for a nice colorful display. Place on grill at medium-high heat. Baste with the reserved marinade. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Baste again when turning.
Drizzle any remaining marinade over the cooked kabobs. Serve immediately. Grilled asparagus complements the kabobs.