I’ve been wanting to make these crab stuffed cucumbers for over a week. I am hosting a dinner party tonight, so I finally have good reason to whip up a batch for appetizers. Many thanks to my friend, Katie, for the garden fresh cherry tomatoes, chives and rosemary.
Appetizers don’t get any easier than this. One medium size cucumber makes six servings. Plan on two servings per guest. Home gardens are filled with ripe cucumbers this time of year. Fresh cucumbers shouldn’t be hard to find.
Peel the cucumber and cut into 1 1/2″ to 1 3/4″ slices. Using a melon baller, scoop out a portion of the cucumber “guts”. You want to create a cup for the crab filling, so leave a portion of the bottom intact. Discard the scooped portion unless you have a brilliant idea for its use (obviously, I did not).
- 6 ounces of canned crab meat will fill 12-18 cucumbers. Drain the juice before using.
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup finely minced green onion
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, low fat
- 1/2 cup sour cream, reduced fat
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to desired taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish (optional) with fresh chives, rosemary and cherry tomatoes
Mix all of the above ingredients. If you aren’t serving the cucumbers immediately, hold off filling them until ready to serve. Cover and refrigerate both the filling and cucumber cups until ready to serve. You can fill the cups within minutes. Dot each with a cherry tomato and garnish your serving dish as desired.
Calories are in the neighborhood of 35 per cucumber cup, so enjoy!