- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets (Three 6-7 ounce fillets will make 6 servings. I buy mine from Costco in a big bag. Each breast is individually wrapped.)
- Low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese (16 ounce package)
- Grated Parmesan cheese topping (Look for the grated type and not the shredded topping type. The grated is much lower in calories.)
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- Diced or sliced mushroom caps
- Garlic and onion powder
- Italian Seasoning (optional)
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Diced turkey pepperoni (about 20-25 slices)
- Diced yellow banana peppers (mild)
- Roughly chopped ham (I use the thinly sliced deli-type by Hillshire Farms). 8 slices will easily top 6 chicken cutlets.
- Marinara sauce (I use marinara sauce because it is lower in calories than pizza sauce.)
Pound out a 3 to 3.5 ounce piece of chicken with a meat mallet. I put each breast into a plastic storage bag and then pound out on a cutting board. It keeps all the meat juices from splattering all over. Once all the fillets are flatted sprinkle them with seasonings.
Cook the chicken in a large skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking oil. I like to use the olive oil type for this recipe. Cook each side of chicken for 3-4 minutes until done. You don’t want any pink parts.
Remove chicken from skillet and arrange on cookie sheet lined with foil. Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. It’s time to get chopping.
Dice and chop all your toppings: pepperoni, mushrooms, pepper, onion, and ham. Place them in individual piles on a cutting board as you chop. Let the layering begin. Begin by spreading a layer of marina sauce on each chicken breast. Honestly, you can layer however you wish. I usually start with the red sauce the layer as follows:
A second layer of marinara red sauce
Sprinkle a layer of grated parmesan cheese
A final layer of mozzarella cheese topped off with banana peppers
Pop the chicken under a broiler for 3-5 minutes. You want the cheese melted the toppings heated through. If you don’t want your veggie toppings to be crunchy, bake the chicken pizza for 7-8 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Then do a quick broil to crispin everything up.
Each serving is in the neighborhood of 275 calories.
You can also soften your veggies first by cooking in a skillet for a few minutes. Use non-stick cooking spray to coat the pan. Remove from heat and place in mixing bowl. Toss them well and then scoop out a portion of mixture for each chicken piece. I don’t prefer this method as I like to have more control over how I want to layer everything. Hey, I’m just throwing out another option.