- 1 1/2 cup fat free liquid egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons skim milk or water (water will give a fluffier frittata)
- 1 cup chopped portabella mushroom (one medium size portabella is about one cup)
- 1 large Fuji or Honey Crisp apple cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat Parmesan grated topping (the kind in the can)
- 1/2 cup low-fat or fat-free shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 slices turkey bacon, chopped
In a bowl, mix the eggs and milk (or water). Whisk well and add the Swiss and cheddar cheese. Set this aside while preparing the filling.
You will need to use a Teflon coated12 inch skillet that is oven safe. Spray the skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Add chopped bacon, mushrooms and zucchini. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
Add the apple and continue cooking another 2 minutes, or until apples have softened.
Pour the egg & cheese mixture into the skillet. Use a spatula to ensure that the egg mixture is evenly distributed. Cook 2 minute over medium heat and remove from stovetop.
Sprinkle the grated Parmesan on the top of the frittata. Place skillet in broiler for 4 minutes until the egg mixture is set. Remove from oven and let the frittata set and continue cooking.
Once cooled, cut into quarters and serve. Makes 4 servings. Calories per serving are in the neighborhood of 160 to 200 calories depending on whether you use low fat cheeses.
You can use “real” eggs and pork bacon if you wish. The calories will be higher as will the cholesterol from the eggs.