I ordered new egg shaped dishes for an upcoming Easter brunch. I threw together this egg scramble to pre-test the new dishes. Double cheese WOW is all I can say about this egg scramble. The cool egg dishes were found at Oriental Trading (of course, they are now sold out).
I must admit there is no recipe. I just dug around in the veggie bins of my fridge and pulled out food items I thought would work. After my scavenger hunt, I ended up with the following ingredients. You can adjust to whatever you have on hand.
- Baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Egg Mate per serving, plus 1 teaspoon water
- Diced tomatoes
- Portabella mushroom, chopped
- Yellow bell pepper, diced
- Scallion, finely chopped
- Roasted red skin potatoes (chopped). I used leftover red skins from this Blimpy Girl recipe I prepared earlier in the week.
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow Swiss cheese (if you don’t want the double cheesiness, cut the wedge in half).
- Salt & pepper to taste
In a microwaveable cup or egg dish add:
1 tablespoon chopped spinach, pinch of scallions, 1 tablespoon roasted red skin potatoes, pinch of yellow pepper and 1 teaspoon diced tomatoes. Microwave for 45 seconds. Remove from microwave. Add 1/4 cup Egg Mate and Laughing Cow cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Return dish or cup to microwave and heat for an additional 45 seconds.
Tip: Spray cups/dishes with non-stick cooking spray before adding ingredients.
Here’s the scoop on calories. Surprisingly, this cheezie egg goodness is a mere 70 calories. If using one-half of the Laughing Cow cheese wedge, calorie intake is 50. For me, the extra cheese is a treat.
I added two Morning Star soy sausage links (on the side) to this egg scramble. Two links are 80 calories.