I love cabbage, but not when it is cooked. However, this red cabbage salad was an exception. I love the contrast of the plum color on a white dinner plate, not to mention the semi-sweetness of the apples. When served with BBQ pork or beef ribs, it’s outstanding; the flavors really compliment the meat.
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, chopped
- 1 large apple, grated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup turkey bacon, cooked and diced
- Fresh apple slices to garnish, optional
Place chopped cabbage, shredded apple, vinegar, sugar and cloves in crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove to serving dish, add diced turkey bacon and garnish with apple slices.
This recipe will serve 6 people as a side dish. A half-cup serving with an apple slice garnish is in the neighborhood of 115 calories.